A good laptop for learning is not necessarily the simplest or, conversely, the top option. It all depends on the specialty chosen by the student and his preferences. The guide will describe the main selection criteria and the best alternatives.
Features of laptops for online learning
When buying a laptop, you must first determine the purpose of the equipment. Both the characteristics of the laptop and its price depend on it.
For training – reading, web surfing, typing, working with spreadsheets and presentations – a budget model with a 2-core CPU and 4 GB of RAM will suffice. The tablet is also suitable. For a student studying to be a graphic designer, architect, it is better to buy a more serious device with an FHD screen, at least a 4-core processor with multithreading support, a good stock of RAM. You will also need a discrete graphics card.
What are the main characteristics?
The basic characteristics include:
- To decide which laptop with which display you need for training, you should consider three parameters: the size of the diagonal, the resolution, the type of matrix;
- The choice of a processor depends on the tasks that the user assigns to the computer. If earlier Intel was steeper in terms of logic, and AMD surpassed the competitor in graphics, now the figures are almost equal.
- Video card. You can choose a laptop with an integrated video card if the student is not a fan of games, and his training does not require work with heavy software. However, for more serious tasks, including graphics programs, as well as games, you should buy a laptop with a separate GPU.
- A minimum of 24 GB is required. You need twice as much to run heavy applications. If we talk about games with a large-scale world, software for 3D modeling and sound design, a laptop with 16 gigabytes of RAM is suitable.
- HDD. Ordinary hard ones are cheaper but louder. With SSD laptops I work smarter and without noise.
- When choosing a laptop for training on the body, you should consider the possibility of upgrading. If you need it, then you need to pay attention to the model with a removable battery, as well as free slots for RAM and storage. You should also pay attention to the material.
The best alternatives
There are the best laptops that are considered top examples of decent models:
- Lenovo IdeaPad 320-15IKB 2 cores, 8 GB of RAM, a discrete card of 2 GB – and all at an affordable price. Such parameters are enough even for games with minimal settings, not to mention everyday tasks.
- Dell XPS 13 9370 is the best option for graphics. 4K display, powerful CPU – Core i7-8550U and 8 gigabytes of RAM. In addition, the IPS panel provides a wider viewing angle, allowing multiple people to look at the screen without missing a single detail.
- Apple A1990 MacBook Pro 15 “universal workstation. Powerful processor, 16 GB of RAM, 4 GB GPU, and a good screen: the device can handle almost any task. With the advent of the M1 chip, the device becomes incredibly productive and fast. CPU power has increased 2.8 times. Graphics processing speed – up to 5 times.
- HP Pavilion 15-eh1004ua 1 is a perfect choice if you often have to combine video conferencing, web browsing, spreadsheets, and presentations. The battery of a switched-off device can be charged up to 50% in just 45 minutes.